This recipe was prepared using the Braun MultiMix Hand Mixer with chopper* attachment and MultiWhisk Beaters attachment.
- ½ cup (2.2 oz) walnuts
- 1/3 cup (1.4 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (1.06 oz) cup old fashioned oats
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons (3 oz) room temperature unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup butter (6 oz), unsalted, room temperature
- 1/3 cup (2.35 oz) confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (6.35 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, quartered, cored, and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup water (2 oz)
- 10 tablespoons sugar (4.2 oz)
- ½ cup cream (4 oz)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- To make the crumb topping: Using the Braun MultiMix Hand Mixer with chopper attachment, roughly chop walnuts on speed 6-8. Then add to a bowl with the rest of the topping ingredients. Mix on a high speed of 6-7 with MultiWhisk Beaters attachment until combined well. Set aside.
- To make the crust: Add all of the crust ingredients to a medium bowl. Using the MultiWhisk Beaters attachment, blend well at speeds 6-7.
- Pat dough into an 8 by 11 by 2-inch glass baking pan pressing dough halfway up the sides of the pan. Prick the bottom crust well with fork. Refrigerate 20 minutes. While chilling, preheat oven to 375° F.
- When chilled, bake on the second lowest shelf in 375°F oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly brown. Once cooked, remove from oven and reduce temperature to 350°F.
- For the apple filling, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Add sliced apples and stir in sugar and cinnamon. Simmer over medium heat, stirring often, for about 10 minutes, until the apples are tender. Spread the apples evenly over the crust.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping in an even layer over the apples. Bake for 25 minutes or until topping is lightly browned and apples are softened.
- While apples are baking, make the caramel sauce: In a small sauce pan, combine water and sugar over medium heat. Stir until syrup comes to a boil, about 4 minutes, then simmer without stirring until syrup is honey-colored, about 6 minutes, shaking and swirling as needed to dissolve any sugar crystals. Continue cooking until syrup is light to medium amber, about a minute more. Immediately stir in cream and reduce heat to medium-low
- Stirring often, simmer until caramel registers 225°F on a candy thermometer, about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to glass pyrex and let cool before pouring on top of the cooked apple pie bars.
- Serve apple bars warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.
*Chopper attachment only available on MultiMix HM5130 Model. Hand chop or use alternative appliance if you do not have this model.