This recipe was prepared using the Braun MultiMix Hand Mixer with dough hook, chopper*, and MultiWhisk Beaters attachment.
*Chopper attachment only available on MultiMix HM5130 Model. Hand chop or use alternative appliance if you do not have this model.
For the Rolls:
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast (or 1 packet)
- 1/4 cup warm water (120° F)
- 1/2 cup almond milk or your favorite non-dairy milk if vegan
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter, divided, plus additional for greasing bowl and pan
- 1/2 cup (4.4 oz) sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ -2 ½ cups (9.5- 10.5 oz) cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 apples, about 1 pound, peeled, cored and roughly chopped into small pieces (Note: use the Braun MultiMix Hand Mixer with the chopping attachment to chop the apples).
For the Vegan Caramel Glaze:
- 1/3 cup (2.35 oz) packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup canned coconut milk, mixed well (Note: Pour coconut milk into bowl and use MultiWhisk Beaters to blend well on speeds 6-7.)
- To prepare rolls, sprinkle yeast in warm water. Stir to combine and set aside. Meanwhile, heat almond milk over low heat; add 2 tablespoons vegan butter and stir until melted. Let cool.
- In medium bowl, using the Braun MultiMix Hand Mixer with the dough hook attachment, stir together the yeast and water mixture, cooled milk and butter mixture, 1/4 cup sugar, salt, until well combined on speeds 6-8. Gradually add in flour, mixing after each addition. Using the dough hooks, knead in enough of the remaining flour to make moderately soft, smooth dough. Remove from bowl and shape into a ball.
- Place dough in lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover and let rise in a warm place until size has doubled (about 1 hour).
- To make the sauce, add the brown sugar and coconut milk to a small sauce pan and stir to combine. Melt sugar over low heat and then bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer on medium heat for about 15 minutes, until caramel has thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, let cool. (Makes about ¼ cup and it gets thicker as it cools.)
- When dough has doubled, punch dough down. Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons vegan butter. Combine remaining ¼ cup sugar and cinnamon in separate bowl. On lightly floured surface roll dough into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Brush about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the vegan butter evenly over the dough using a pastry brush. Sprinkle 2/3 of the cinnamon sugar mixture over.
- Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut dough into 9 even 12-inch strips. (Note: you are cutting the long way so strips are thin.) Sprinkle apple pieces all over the cut dough. Roll up each strip tightly with the apple inside, sealing the end by pressing it into the dough. Don’t worry if some of the apple comes out, press it into the bun once it is in the pan. Arrange rolls in prepared pan. Pour remaining vegan butter over the buns, and then sprinkle remaining cinnamon and sugar on top. Let rise, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake rolls for 35 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through. While cooling the rolls slightly, prepare vegan caramel sauce.