This recipe was prepared using the Braun MultiMix Hand Mixer with chopper* attachment and MultiWhisk Beaters attachment.
*Chopper attachment only available on MultiMix HM5130 Model. Hand chop or use alternative appliance if you do not have this model.
- 4 oz blanched almonds
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup (4 oz) unsalted butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs, separated
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Line the bottom of an 8-inch round spring form pan with parchment and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the blanched almonds in the chopper attachment of the Braun MultiMix Hand Mixer. With the hand blender on high, about speeds 6-7, process until very fine but not so fine that it turns to nut butter. Set aside.
- Place the chocolate, broken up, and the butter, in a microwave-safe glass bowl and melt the chocolate and butter on high for about 1 minute. Stir and continue to melt in 30-second intervals until completely melted, stirring well after each heating. Let cool completely.
- Then using the MultiWhisk Beaters attachment, blend in the almonds and sugar into the chocolate butter mixture. Mix in the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing on high up to speed 8 after each yolk is added.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites on high speed of 7-8 with the MultiWhisk Beaters attachment, to soft, fluffy peaks. Mix the ¼ whites into the chocolate and almond batter. Then gently fold the rest of the whites in using a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin, smooth over the top and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the top appears dry and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. It is important not to overcook this cake. Let cool completely in the pan before serving.
- Dust with powdered sugar and, if desired, some lightly whipped cream. This cake keeps well for several days and is even better the next day.