This recipe was prepared using Braun’s MultiQuick 7 Hand blender with its masher and 2-cup chopper attachments.
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 ½-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 4 pieces
- 6 oz. mushrooms, halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup beef or chicken broth
- 1 tsp flour
- 15-oz. canned tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp butter
- ½ cup warm 2% or whole milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the peeled and cubed potatoes in medium sized pot. Cover with at least an inch of cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Using Braun’s MultiQuick 7 Hand blender with its 2-cup chopper attachment, add the onion and garlic and roughly chop, pulsing on high speed, and then pour into a small bowl. Repeat with carrots and then mushrooms, in two batches.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add chopped onions, garlic and carrots and sauté for about 5 minutes until vegetables are softened, stirring often. Then add mushrooms and cook for about 3 more minutes until softened, stirring often.
- Add meat and oregano and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often until meat is no longer pink.
- Gradually whisk beef or chicken stock into flour on a slow speed, in a bowl. Add to meat along with tomato sauce and Worcestershire. Let mixture come to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 5 more minutes until sauce has reduced and thickened. Stir in peas, season with salt and pepper and set aside and prepare mashed potatoes.
- When the potatoes are done cooking so that a fork can easily pierce, remove them from the pot and place them in a bowl with butter. Using Braun’s MultiQuick 7 Hand blender with the masher attachment, begin to mash potatoes on high speed. Then add warm milk and continue to mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread the beef and vegetable mixture in an even layer in an 7 x 11 inch baking dish. Spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the top of the ground beef. Bake in oven and cook until browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes. If necessary, broil for the last few minutes to brown the top. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes and serve hot.
Chef tip: this recipe can be prepared ahead of time and warmed up when ready to serve.