This recipe was prepared using Braun’s MultiQuick 7 Hand blender with its whisk, masher and 2-cup chopper attachments.
For béchamel sauce
- 2 oz. piece Pecorino Romano, divided
- 1 ½ tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 ½ tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 shallots\
- 1 clove garlic
- 8 sheets No-boil lasagna noodles, about 3 x 6 ¾ inches
- 2 oz. pancetta cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup ricotta
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Using Braun’s MultiQuick 7 Hand blender with 2-cup chopper attachment, finely grate cheese. Melt butter in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking for 2 minutes. Using Braun’s MultiQuick 7 Hand blender with its whisk accessory pour in milk. Bring to a boil over high heat, whisking constantly as sauce thickens. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, about 5 minutes until thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, then whisk in ½ the cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Cover pan until ready to use.
- To make cannelloni, add butternut squash to a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 15 minutes or until squash can be easily pierced with a knife.
- Using Braun’s MultiQuick 7 Hand blender with 2-cup chopper attachment, that has been wiped out, finely chop shallots and garlic.
- When squash is cooked remove from pot to a large bowl using a slotted spoon. Add more water to the pot and bring to a boil. Meanwhile add squash to a large bowl and let cool.
- Once water has boiled, start to cook pasta 2 sheets at a time. Stir to separate and cook until just tender, about 8 minutes. Gently transfer with a slotted spoon to a large bowl of cold water. Repeat with the rest of the pasta sheets.
- Add pancetta pieces to a small frying pan. Cook fat out, about 10 to 12 minutes or until crispy and most of the fat is gone. Remove pancetta and all but 1 teaspoon fat from pan. Add chopped shallots and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes or until softened but not browned, stirring often. Remove from heat and add to large bowl with squash.
- Add ricotta, the rest of the finely chopped pecorino Romano cheese, and parsley to the bowl with squash. Using Braun’s MultiQuick 7 Hand blender with masher attachment, mash mixture until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread 1/2 cup béchamel sauce in 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Spread about 1/2 cup ricotta filling in a line along 1 short side of 1 pasta rectangle, then roll up to enclose filling. Transfer, seam side down, to baking dish. Make 7 more cannelloni the same way, arranging close together in 1 layer. Spread remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with pancetta pieces. Bake, covered with foil, in middle of oven until sauce is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.