This recipe was prepared using Braun’s MultiQuick Hand blender with its food processor and whisk attachments.
For the cakes
- 5 to 6 medium carrots, peeled and ends removed (note—it should make 2 cups grated carrots)
- ¾ cup vegetable oil, plus additional for greasing pans
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- Zest and juice of 1 orange (about 1 tablespoon zest and 1/3 cup juice, reserving 1 tablespoon for icing)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
For the icing
- 3 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice, from oranges used in cake
- Preheat oven to 350° F. To make cupcakes, place cupcake papers in mini cupcake pans or grease the pans with vegetable oil and a pastry brush.
- Using Braun’s MultiQuick Food processor with fine grating accessory, grate peeled carrots. Add carrots to a large bowl and add ¾ cup oil, brown sugar, eggs, orange zest and juice (reserving 1 tablespoon for the icing), flours, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Using Braun’s MultiQuick Hand blender with the whisk attachment, mix together the cake ingredients, starting on a low speed and gradually increasing. When mixture is combined well, spoon tablespoons of batter into prepared pan. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcakes comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on wire rack. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning them out onto the wire rack to finish cooling before frosting.
- While cupcakes cool, prepare the frosting. Using the MultiQuick whisk attachment, cream together cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and orange juice and continue to blend until light and fluffy. Once cupcakes are completely cooled, frost them and serve. Refrigerate any uneaten cupcakes and bring to room temperature before serving.