Makes 6 burgers
Prep: 30 minutes
Refrigerator: at least 1 hour
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Difficulty level: Medium
- 3 small plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 scallion, cut into 4 pieces
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro
- ½ jalapeño, seeded and vein removed unless you like it hot
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tsp canola oil + additional for frying
- 1 carrot, peeled and ends trimmed
- 1 small zucchini
- ½ red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ jalapeno, seeds and veins removed
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 small red pepper, cut into 2 ½-inch pieces
- 15-oz. can black beans, drained, rinsed and divided
- 1 cup cooked Quinoa, divided
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 Gluten Free burger buns
- To prepare salsa, chop tomatoes using the Braun MultiQuick 7 hand blender with blending shaft attachment pulsing until desired chunkiness. Add the lime juice. Then chop the scallion in the Braun MultiQuick 7 2-cup chopper attachment, using high speed. Add to the tomatoes. Repeat with the cilantro and the jalapeno. Mix salsa together, season with salt. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To prepare burgers, using the Braun MultiQuick 7 food processor attachment with fine shredding blade, shred the carrots and zucchini.
- In the Braun MultiQuick 7 2-cup chopper attachment, chop the onion and garlic on high speed, and transfer to a bowl. Then chop the jalapeno, and then the cilantro. Finally add the red pepper and chop.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook for about 1 minute. Add the peppers, carrot and zucchini and cook until softened, 4 to 6 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and place ½ of the mixture in food processor with chopping blade.
- Add all but ¼ cup of beans, ½ cup quinoa and egg to food processor. Pulse until smooth. Transfer mixture to a large bowl, add remaining ¼ cup beans, ½ cup quinoa, cilantro, and remaining cooked vegetables. Mix until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate mixture for at least an hour.
- When ready to cook, heat about 2 tbsp oil in large skillet over medium heat. Shape bean mixture into six patties. Place each burger in pan and cook 5 to 7 minutes and then carefully turn burgers over and reshape into a patty, if necessary. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Put the burgers on the buns and serve on with salsa and desired fixings. (If your pan is not big enough, cook in two batches.)