1. Put the tomatoes in the Braun Multiquick 7 hand blender’s large chopper accessory and blend into a liquid that will be used for the sauce. Empty and rinse the large chopper accessory.
2. Soften the garlic and onions with the olive oil in a pan over medium heat until it just starts to break down. Add the chopped tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, bay leaves and thyme to the garlic and cook slowly for a further 20-25 minutes.
3. For the meatballs, mince the beef, chopped parsley and onions in the large chopper accessory.
4. Add bread crumbs and egg yolk to the mince mixture, pulsing throughout. Season with salt and pepper and form the mince into walnut-sized balls.
5. Cook the meatballs for about 4 minutes on each side. Add them to the tomato sauce and cook gently for a further 6 minutes. Toss in torn basil leaves
6. Serve with freshly cooked linguine and grated parmesan.