This recipe was prepared using the Braun MultiMix Hand Mixer with chopper* attachment and MultiWhisk Beaters attachment.
*Chopper attachment only available on MultiMix HM5130 Model. Hand chop or use alternative appliance if you do not have this model.
For the crust
- 3⁄4 cup (6 oz.) butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 1⁄3 (1.4 oz.) cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups (6.3 oz.) flour, all purpose
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 (6.3 oz)cups blanched slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup sugar (5.3 oz) + 1 tablespoon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (2 oz) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 ripe pears, about 1- 1 ¼ lbs, peeled, quartered, cored, cut into 1/8-inch-thick wedges
- 1/2 cup (1.8 oz) fresh or frozen cranberries (I tested with frozen)
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves or marmalade, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Using the Braun MultiMix Hand Mixer, blend ingredients for the crust to make crumbly dough. Pour the mixture into a 10-inch tart or pie pan. Then press into the bottom and sides of pan. Prick the bottom crust well with fork. Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool while preparing the filling. Turn oven up to 400°F.
- Add the almonds and 3/4 cup sugar to the chopping attachment of the Braun MultiMix Hand Mixer. Finely chop on speed 1, gradually increasing to speed 8.
- Pour the sugar nut mixture into a bowl with eggs, vanilla extract and salt and butter into a bowl. Mix well with the MultiWhisk Beaters attachment, gradually increasing to speed 8. Set aside.
- Prepare pears and set aside. Then spread filling into cooled baked crust. Overlap pears in concentric circles on top of filling; scatter cranberries on top. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake tart 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F. Bake until pears are tender, about 40-45 minutes. Transfer to rack and carefully run sharp knife around edges of pan so tart does not stick when cool. Heat preserves in small saucepan over low heat or in the microwave until melted. Brush over pears. Cool completely before serving. Tart can be made ahead and is delicious after a few days.