This recipe was prepared using the Braun MultiQuick 9 Hand blender with the whisk attachment.
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Red food paste gel
- Preheat the oven to 175ºF. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl. Using the hand blender with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, until the sugar is completely dissolved. Beat in the peppermint extract until the whites stand in stiff glossy peaks.
- Fit a pastry bag with a star tip*. Fold the top of the bag over slightly. Dip a medium paintbrush into the food paste gel. Starting from the inside of the pastry tip, brush a stroke of food coloring from the pastry tip to the top of the bag. Continue brushing strokes of food paste evenly spaced around the bag about 3 more times. Spoon the meringue into the bag. Pipe the meringue into 1-inch wide by 1 1/2-inch high ‘kisses,’ on the baking sheets.
- Bake the meringues for 3 hours. Turn the oven off and let the meringues cool in the oven for 1 hour. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 1 week. Do not refrigerate.
*This recipe used Ateco 5/16” French star tip