This recipe was prepared using the Braun MultiQuick 9 Hand blender using the whisk attachment.
- 35 Saltine crackers
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped candied orange peel (from an 8-ounce package), optional
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the crackers in one layer on the baking sheet.
- To make the caramel layer, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and bring to a simmer. Using the hand blender with the whisk attachment, whisk the butter mixture on low speed, until the mixture is thickened and the sugar is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes. Immediately pour the butter mixture all over the crackers spreading with a spatula to cover completely. Bake until the caramel is bubbly, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips all over the crackers; let stand until the chocolate begins to melt, about 5 minutes. Using a small offset spatula, spread the chocolate evenly over the crackers. Sprinkle with the almonds and candied orange peel, if using.
- Refrigerate until hard, then break into shards and store in a container for up to 3 days.