This recipe was prepared using Braun’s MultiQuick 7 Hand Blender with the blending shaft, whisk and beaker attachments.
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 lb. frozen whole strawberries
- 2 tbsp real maple syrup
- ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, separated
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 ¼ cups low fat buttermilk
- To prepare sauce, whisk together in a small bowl, orange juice and cornstarch, using the Braun MultiQuick 7 Hand Blender with its whisk attachment. Add strawberries to a medium-sized pot. Turn heat on medium and cook strawberries for about 5 minutes or until strawberries are softened and there is juice in the pot. Add cornstarch and orange juice mixture and syrup and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 2-4 minutes until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Using the Braun MultiQuick 7 Hand Blender with the blending shaft attachment, blend strawberries into sauce on high speed for about 30 seconds. Set aside until ready to serve with waffles.
- To make waffles, preheat waffle maker on medium-high heat. Preheat oven to 200° F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, using the Braun MultiQuick 7 Hand Blender with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg yolks, butter and buttermilk together until combined on low speed. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk gently until smooth but do not over mix. Wash the whisk attachment.
- In beaker attachment of the MultiQuick 7 Hand Blender, add the egg whites and whisk on the highest speed until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Pour about ½ cup of the batter, depending on the size of your waffle maker, into each well of the waffle maker and close the lid. Cook the waffles until golden brown and crisp, about 3-6 minutes—but depends on your waffle maker. Transfer the cooked waffles to the wire rack and keep warm in the preheated oven as you cook the rest. Repeat to cook the remaining batter.
- Serve the waffles immediately with strawberry sauce. Or extras can be refrigerated or frozen and then warmed in the toaster.