This recipe was prepared using Braun’s MultiQuick 5 Hand Blender with its 1.5-cup chopper and whisk attachments.
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 24 oz. baby spinach, washed
- 1 large shallot
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups 2% milk
- 2 oz.Fontina cheese
- Pinch of cayenne
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1. Melt 1 tsp butter in a large frying pan on medium heat. Add spinach along with 2 tbsp water sprinkled over the top. Cook the spinach, stirring the spinach until just wilted, about a minute (You may need to cook spinach in two batches if it doesn’t fit in the pan). Spinach should retain its nice green color. Set aside.
- Using Braun’s Multiquick 5 Hand blender with its 1.5 cup chopper attachment, finely chop the shallot and garlic. Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan. Add the chopped garlic and shallot, and cook for about 3-5 minutes until softened but not browned.
- Add in the flour, stirring it together to form a paste. Let cook stirring constantly for about 1 ½ minutes, making sure not to let it brown.
- Slowly blend in the milk using Braun’s Multiquick 5 Hand blender with the whisk attachment on low speed. Bring mixture to a boil. Add cheese and let cook about 4 minutes, stirring often until it has slightly thickened.
- Squeeze water out of spinach and stir into mixture and season with cayenne, nutmeg and salt and pepper. Serve hot.