This recipe was prepared using the Braun MultiQuick 9 Hand blender with ACTIVEBlade and whisk attachment.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup light molasses
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 (5.1-ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 4 firm ripe Bartlett pears
- 11/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper. Lightly spray the parchment paper.
- To prepare the gingerbread, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, cloves, and salt in a large bowl.
- Heat the butter and water in a small saucepan over medium heat until the butter is melted; remove from the heat. Stir in the molasses. Add the butter mixture, buttermilk, and egg to the flour mixture. Attach the whisk attachment to the power pack and mix until the batter is smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto the rack and cool completely. Cut the gingerbread into 1-inch cubes; set aside.
- To prepare the pears, combine the water and sugar in a large saucepan. Add the pear halves and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the pears are tender, about 25 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the pears to a work surface and cut into 1/2-inch pieces; set aside.
- To prepare the custard, place the heavy cream in the beaker. Put the pudding mix and milk in a large deep bowl. Using the blending wand with the ACTIVEblade attachment, on low speed, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form, about 15 seconds; set aside. On low speed, beat the pudding mix and milk with the ACTIVEblade until the pudding is thickened and softly set, about 1 minute. Whisk in the brandy using the whisk attachment.
- To assemble the trifles, alternate layers of gingerbread, custard, and pears and in a large trifle bowl or 8 mini trifle footed dessert glasses.