This recipe was prepared using the Braun MultiQuick 9 Hand blender with ACTIVEBlade attachment.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in small cubes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, chopped
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (11/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- To make the lemon curd, using the ACTIVEBlade blending wand attached, on low speed, mix the lemon juice, sugar, eggs, egg yolks, and salt in a deep medium saucepan until blended. Place over medium heat and stir with a heatproof spatula or wooden spoon until the mixture begins to thicken and the temperature reaches 170ºF on an instant-read thermometer, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat. Using the ACTIVEBlade attachment on low speed, mix in the butter until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth. Transfer the lemon curd to a small bowl; let cool to room temperature the cover and refrigerate until the lemon curd is chilled and well set, about 3 hours.
- To make the cake, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray three 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick spray. Line the pans with parchment paper; spray lightly with nonstick spray and dust with flour; tap out excess flour.
- Combine the flour, sugar, coconut, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Put the butter, eggs, buttermilk, coconut extract, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Using the hand blender with the whisk attachment, whisk the butter mixture on medium speed until combined. With a rubber spatula, stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Cool in pans on a rack 10 minutes; remove from the pans and cool on rack completely.
- Meanwhile, to make the frosting, put the cream cheese and butter in the food processor attachment and pulse until the cream cheese mixture is very smooth and creamy. Add the confectioners’ sugar and coconut extract and pulse until light and fluffy.
- To assemble, with a long, serrated knife slice the top off each cake layer to make the cake layer flat. Cut 4 (3-inch wide) strips of wax paper. Place one cake layer on a cake plate. Slip the wax paper strips partially under the cake. Spread 1 cup of the lemon curd on the cake layer. Top with the second layer, trimmed side down and 1 cup lemon curd. Spread about 1/3 of the frosting on the top and around the sides of the cake to create a ‘crumb coating.’ Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spread the remaining frosting over the top and around sides of the cake. Press the coconut onto top and sides of cake. Remove the strips of parchment from under the cake and brush off any excess coconut.