1. Use the Braun Multiquick 5 and its 500ml chopper to shred the onions.
2. Heat the butter with the olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add the onions, crushed garlic, bay leaves and thyme leaves and stir gently. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for a 20 further minutes, stirring until the onions have caramelised and have a golden brown colour.
3. Stir in the flour and cook for a further 3-4 minutes removing any lumps then add the wine, dry sherry and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. To prepare the parmesan toasts, grate the parmesan in the Braun Multiquick 5’s 500ml chopper and then place on the hearty slices of bread. Grill on one side.
5. Ladle the soup into bowls. Place one or two of the toasts into each bowl and top with large spoonfuls of the grated cheese. Serve.