Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 14-20 minutes
Difficulty level: Medium
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 scallions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 oz. cod
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch of cayenne, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. lump crabmeat, picked over for shells
- 2/3 cup panko
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil, divided, or as needed
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Using Braun’s Multiquick Hand Blender with its 2-cup chopper attachment, chop celery, pulsing about 10-12 times. Remove from bowl and transfer to a large bowl. Add scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces, and garlic to the 2-cup chopper and finely chop. Transfer vegetables to large bowl.
- Add cod to 2-cup chopper attachment and puree until smooth. Add heavy cream and pulse, about 5-7 times until mixed in. Transfer fish puree to bowl with vegetables.
- Add mustard, cayenne, Old Bay, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Add crabmeat and fold gently with rubber spatula, being careful not to over mix and break up lumps of crabmeat. Divide mixture into 8 balls and firmly press into 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Pour panko into a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Coat each cake in panko, firmly pressing to adhere crumbs to the outside of the crab cake.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place 4 cakes in skillet and cook without moving them until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Carefully flip cakes, add 1 tablespoon oil, reduce heat to medium, and continue to cook until second side is golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer cakes to platter. Wipe out skillet and repeat with remaining 4 cakes and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.