1. For the pastry, place the butter, flour and salt in the Braun Multiquick 5 compact kitchen machine with kneading hook and pulse.
2. Add the sugar and egg yolks, continuing to blend. When complete, refrigerate pastry for 30 minutes then roll on a lightly floured surface until about 3mm thick. Line a 20cm tart ring with the pastry and return to the fridge for 20 minutes.
3. For the frangipane, place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk with the Multiquick 5. Mix in the flour, ground almonds and corn flour.
4. Bring the milk to the boil in a saucepan with the vanilla pod. When simmering, mix half the milk with the egg yolk mixture, stirring all the time, then return to the original pan combining with the vanilla milk on the heat. Stir continuously for 2-3 minutes until the mixture thickens. Pass the frangipane through a sieve and leave to cool.
5. Place the cool frangipane in the pastry case. Cut the apples and press into the filling, scatter almonds and dust with icing sugar. Place in oven at 180ºC for 30 minutes.